A downloadable project for Windows
Fragmentary Journey is a self-proposed technical demo which development was destined to learn how to implement different features with Unity.
In this demo, the main focus was making it as if it was an actual game. Although it is far from being called a game, I wanted to learn the process of letting the user change the graphics / sound settings or save / load his previous game data. Aside from that, I made a great effort on making good camera controls, a dialogue system, health management like in some fighting games, and so on.
WARNING: This demo may still have some bugs, specially when using a controller. It is advised to use only Keyboard + Mouse control. In addition, I will gladly read comments about the experience of those who try this demo, even more so if you find any error. Thank you for downloading and for letting me know how your experience was.
DISCLAIMER: Each asset used in this project has been included only for personal use. Everything regarding this project will be used with non-profit purposes.
Project's in depth Information
In this section I will explain some of the features included in this demo, why were they included, what has been implemented and how they work:
- Game intro: almost every game shows a short cutscene before reaching the main menu screen. I thought it would be nice to included that and even more after seeing the latest updates about the Video Player. This cutscene is taken from PT Silent Hills.
- The main menu allows the player to start a new game with a certain difficulty, load a previous game or change the settings. The user can navigate through menus using the mouse, Space, Escape and WASD keys. The player can use the xbox 360 controller here, and controls' icons will change, but it is advised not to use them.
- The New Game screen shows 3 titles of 3 known games. These titles mean what difficulty the player will be playing on. Minecraft is Easy, Devil May Cry is Normal, and Dark Souls is Hard. The difficulty affects the damage taken and the amount of health restored when picking up potions. It is also part of the information saved to disk.
- The Load Game menu will let the user load previous data. This data includes player information as: position, maximum health, current health and current money. It also saves the progress with characters, that means that conversations will continue from where they were before saving.
- The Options menu will allow the player to change the settings as resolution, fullscreen, graphics quality regarding textures and shadows,... These will be saved and loaded at the beginning of the game.
- When inside the main game level, the player can interact with a NPC, signposts, chests, fire, potions and save points. Controls can be found on the top side of the screen. Controller's input may not be compatible with this level since I wanted to focus on just controlling UI elements with a controller, that's why the project is just partially compatible with them.
- Lighting issue below the wall near the campfires.
- If the FPS counter is too low while in the Title Screen, the game may not let the user select any option after returning to the Main menu from the Settings menu.
Saved games and settings are saved in: Users/"yourusername"/AppData/LocalLow, MarioJulia/FragmentaryJourney
Before running the game, if you already tried this project before and you are downloading it again, make sure you don't have previous data saved in your disk. Go to that folder and delete it.
HOW TO USE:
Download the 7z file, extract it and run the .exe file.
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.